Saturday, May 11, 2013

TWD: Fresh Rhubarb Upside-down Cake

I'm a manager with twelve direct reports and it's been performance review time for too long.  For the last four weeks it's generally been working during the day and then at night writing the reviews.  This is the first time that I've been this behind in keeping up with my baking for this group.  I'm back on track now!


This week I went on the hunt for fresh local rhubarb.  I went to a couple of wonderful small grocers near my work and I could not find any rhubarb!  


Tried at home this weekend but only was able to find rhubarb that was packed as I call it Florida-style - slightly sad looking stalks on a foam tray wrapped in plastic wrap. I salvaged the best of the best stalks and went with it.


I heeded the instructions to fold the flour and sour cream (could not find creme fraiche) gently in the batter.


I did one large 12-inch cake using a cast-iron pan.


I made this cake for a day before-mother's-day-dinner gathering.  It was a hit.  The caramel pecan rhubarb top was subtle but delicious.  My husband especially loved it because it was not too sweet. I would definitely make this again, I think with peaches or the traditional pineapple. Or even with apple!


Had to include this on my blog.  Sarah made this one Sunday breakfast not too long ago.  She was so proud of herself.  Who could blame her.

Happy Mother's Day to all the ladies in the house, you don't have to be a mother to be a mom.

Warmly,
Broad Brook Baker

3 comments:

  1. Your cake looks lovely and I love the bacon face! This was a delicious recipe and it has endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I think it's understandable that you're a little late when it's such a busy time. Love the bacon face, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - can't go wrong with a bacon face :-)
    Reviews are definitely harder to write than people think they would be - I was very happy when I moved from ~ 20 reports to 4 for that reason alone...

    ReplyDelete